Sometimes, an FSA reimbursement request must be denied. Common reasons include:
- The Claim Form was not signed.
- The requested amount was not included on the Claim Form.
- Improper provider receipt to document expenses (Charge receipts, debit slips and cancelled checks cannot be accepted to document your claim. They indicate a payment date and not necessarily the date the service was rendered, nor do they indicate type of service rendered.).
- Expense is ineligible (example: cosmetic surgery). View a sample list of eligible expenses here.
- Expense was not incurred during the current plan year.
- The provider receipt does not indicate the actual date the service was incurred.
Participants receive either email notification or a letter in the mail which thoroughly explains the problem(s) with their claim and provides instruction, as appropriate, toward the successful submission of their claim.